Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Potato Potluck

Our Los Angeles Food Bloggers group recently met to talk about and enjoy everything Idaho potato with Don Odiorne.  Don is VP Food Service for the Idaho Potato Commission and a very good friend of food bloggers everywhere.  For the potluck we were asked to bring a dish including potatoes and the only problem was trying to narrow down which recipe to make because there are endless potato possibilities as all you potato lovers out there know.

Since it's Spring I decided to make a big, beautiful, fresh, and filling salad, with Melissa's Gemstone Potatoes as the star.  First I washed and cubed the potatoes, sprinkled them with salt and pepper, drizzled olive oil over them, and roasted them in the oven at 325 for about 15-20 minutes.  Then I set them aside to cool to room temp.  Next I took a pile of fresh fava beans, rinsed them off, took the beans out of the pods, then steamed them for about 25 minutes until tender.  Set these aside too.  Some cubed Melissa's Ready-To-Eat Beets were the last of the main ingredients.

In a very large, wooden salad bowl I laid in a bed of Spring mix along with some arugula.  Then I placed the roasted potatoes, steamed beets and fava beans over the greens.  To really bring Spring into this salad I snipped in a handful each of fresh mint and fresh cilantro.  Over all of this green goodness I poured a preserved lemon vinaigrette made with minced preserved lemons, some evoo, a couple of sprinkles of seasoned rice vinegar, and lots of fresh pepper.

The salad was so good I'm making it again tonight, exactly the same way.  But feel free to mix it up where the greens and veggies are concerned.  Just don't forget the taters.
http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/Gemstone-Potatoes.aspx


Spring Salad Supreme 
1 pkg. Melissa's Gemstone Potatoes, cubed, roasted
1 pkg. Melissa's Ready-To-Eat Beets, cubed
pile of fresh fava beans, de-podded, steamed
fresh mint
fresh cilantro
big mess of Spring mix and arugula
preserved lemon
evoo
seasoned rice vinegar
fresh ground black pepper

Please check out other recipes from our Potato Potluck:
http://www.inlinkz.com/script.php?id=134032&nojump=1&key=ILXqrJQ9IGU12

6 comments:

  1. Nancy: Thanks so much for the great Idaho potato salad and write up. Going to look for the precooked beets, what a wonderful convenience! Look forward to working with you more in the future. By the way, the Ojai Pixie Tangerines that you brought were the perfect mid morning snack for the rest of my trip. So delicious, I saved a couple to bring home to my wife to try too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tater Man - I think it was one of our best blogger events ever. And so glad you enjoyed the pixies. Please stay in touch!

      Delete
  2. Your salad looks so fresh and delicious! Thanks to you, I remembered to buy some fava beans last night and we enjoyed a few today in our soup. I've never cooked them by steaming--do you like them better that way?
    The link to the other bloggers' potato recipes didn't work for me. Is there any other way to see them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I wasn't able to properly connect the link. Here's the website where the other great potato recipes are: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/food-bloggers-los-angeles-do-potatoes/. Steamed favas seem to be done sooner and greener I think. Either way is good.

    ReplyDelete