Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mosaics Through the Millenium

Blogger/Artist's Self-Portrait
According to Wikipedia, the earliest known examples of mosaics made of different materials were found in a temple building in Mesopotamia, in the 2nd half of the 3rd millenium BC.  Through the ages, artists have gone on to create thousands of variations of found object mosaic art, with religious significance, or in royal tribute, or with cultural significance, or personal sybolism.  My own mosaic journey has recently been inspired by the classic game of bowling and the simple joy of a few spares, a couple of strikes, and a cold brewski, as in the happy self-portrait pictured above.


Cynthia's Turtle Stone
 In my ongoing quest to share knowledge and skills I helped my friend Cynthia create her own mosaic with this stepping stone starring her favorite creature, the turtle. (Sorry but I should have turned the stone around so the turtle had its feet on terra firma, not on its back as in the photo).  I hope you are inspired to make your own mosaic soon - maybe at a mosaic workshop I'm planning to have in the near future.  In the meantime, think about something you'd like to create using this ancient art in a meaningful modern way.

P.S.  I know my photography NEEDS A LOT OF WORK so any tips would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment